11/17/2008

Motherhood: Not for the Faint of Heart

I am up to my elbows in poo. I wish I could say this was an exaggeration, however it really isn't...the stomach flu has dropped by and from all appearances, she's going to stay for a while.

It all started on Friday when I noticed that the diapers were looking a little runny. This is not something that any parenting book prepares you for: the fact that you actually know what poo should look like and, contraiwise, what it should absolutely not look like. I'm guessing there's probably some kind of mommy Rorschach test in there as well, though I'm not sure I actually want to know my results. Things got worse on Saturday. Sunday I was pleased because things seemed to be solidifying - and because there hadn't been any kind of fever at all.

Today we met the exorcist portion of the program. I own three pairs of jeans. They are now all in the wash. I finally gave up on the fourth change and just put my jammies back on, thinking that I had more sets of them than nice pants and we obviously weren't going anywhere.

The triage nurse was very nice, though she was trying hard not to laugh because as I'm on the phone explaining that my child is sick, he's standing next to me making the happiest noises you've ever heard. She didn't want to believe that this was the sick child in question. Still, it's nice that he's in good spirits, cause mine are flagging...could be because I'm running a fever.

1 comment:

  1. Oh hugs. I was there, right with you yesterday, cleaning up electric red vomit. There honestly aren't words for the way you feel when faced with such a mess.

    ReplyDelete