12/11/2008

Stepping Out

This morning, Tim decided he'd work from home. I always like it when he does this as it means we can have breakfast together and it's just generally nice having him around (hey, go figure.) Anyway, in honor of it being Thursday, I went ahead and opened up a roll of cinnamon rolls from Pillsbury, cause we're fancy that way.

The little one had long since finished his breakfast by the time they were out of the oven, but he's not one to turn down a bite of something off mommy's plate (even if I give him his own stuff on his try, he'd really rather have it off my plate), so I pulled off a little bit of roll and handed it to him. This was greeted with a big smile and "Yummmmm!" so he took to hanging on my knee at the table, just standing there and waiting for more bites. Until I guess he got bored and turned and walked from the table to the sliding glass doors. Like it was no big deal. Just toddled right over there.

I start choking on my food and waving madly at him and Tim turns expecting, I think, to see some sort of danger that needs to be averted. I think he caught the last step.

We haven't managed to get a repeat yet (and of course, now that we're really trying, I'm sure he won't just to thwart our expectations of performance), but it's coming. Time to batten down the hatches!

In other "I guess I'm gonna be a big boy today" news, at lunch he wouldn't take his bottle for love or money, so I threw the sippy top on the bottle figuring maybe the novelty would help. No dice, but he did put it in his mouth and try to suck (but not tilt), so I put it in the straw cup...and he drained the thing while looking at me as if to say, "What took you so long, mom?" For that, I'm grateful (though of course there's no guarantee that he'll keep doing it) because the nursery at church doesn't understand why they can't just hand him his bottle. And I grant you, at his age you *ought* to be able to do that, but he's had no interest whatsoever in holding the bottle himself (unless you count wanting to squirt formula all over the place, he enjoys that.)

1 comment: