8/29/2018

Sometimes even the book isn't that good

Over the past year, I've slowly been working my way through all of Michael Connelly's books. I started reading his Harry Bosch books just before I stumbled across the Amazon series based on them, but it wasn't until I finally figured out the library ebook thing that I really started on the series (because as much as I enjoyed the first two, I know they aren't books I will revisit, and $9 a pop for a one shot read is...a bit much.)

In the intervening time, I ran across some discussion about how one should read all the books by Connelly in order of publication rather than just the Bosch books. And because I like to do things "right", this is what I've been doing.

In general, I've enjoyed the other series as they've intersected in one way or another with Bosch.

Until I hit The Lincoln Lawyer.

I am struggling so hard with this book. I don't want to DNF it, but I'm seriously close. It is slow. There is no one particularly interesting or heroic (Bosch, for all his flaws, is still at heart someone you can root for. I can't root for Haller. He's annoying and morally bankrupt.)

I was telling my mom about it and she said, "The movie wasn't very good, either."

"There's a movie?"
"Yes. With Matthew McConaughey."

Alrighty then. I don't understand what about this particular book of Connelly's inspired someone to make a movie. It's absolutely the last one I would have chosen. Because meh. Serious meh.

I'm going to try and finish it, simply because I'm guessing there will be some little tie in to the main Bosch series at some point down the line and I don't like to miss little pieces.

But still. So much meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment