5/21/2019

A Little Random (Because it's about all I can manage)


  • One the last things we did in San Antonio was visit the Legoland Discovery Center. It's basically a Lego store with 2 rides and bigger bins of Lego to play with. The boys still had fun, so I'll call it a win, but for the price? Geez, Louise, no. What fascinated me was the clear delineation between the "boy" side and the "girl" side of things. I mean, there were no signs "Only boys can play here" or anything like that - but it was still marked. The create and race or hill test your car area was done in bold red and black with some yellow stripes. Primary colors. Dark. Masculine. And cars. So yeah boys love cars, right? The girl side was all lavender and light pink with big pictures of the Lego Friends girl characters with speech bubbles talking about how amazing it was to have friends like these. But what really cheesed me (to the point I thought about a whole post titled "The Misogyny of Lego" but finally decided against doing so) was that every. single. table. in the girl area had the well of random loose Lego with instructions next to it. Were there instructions on building a car? Nope. Just wells full of axles, wheels, tires, and other random pieces. The rest? Totally up to you. On the girl side though? Here's how you can make a heart. Oh let's make a house! This is a flower box for a window. Because...girls aren't creative enough to play with Lego on their own and just build something? I don't know. What I do know is the ONLY place there was a single instruction in that place was on the VERY VERY VERY girly area. Ticked me off.
  • In that same vein, I remained annoyed listening to parents - moms in particular - tell their girls who wanted to build cars but who were not having immediate success, "Oh, let's see if we can find Dad, he's good at that." or "This is hard, let's go over here and build a heart." Oh. My. Word. People. Do you even HEAR yourselves???
  • For the record, youngest boy was struggling a bit with his car, so he brought it over to me to get some help. And we sat down by one of the big Lego pits and figured something out together. To be honest, I didn't know what I was doing either, but it's Lego for crying out loud. The whole point is that you play with it until you get something you like.
  • I guess I managed that whole ranty post after all. Scusi.
  • We did our standardized testing last week once we were home. I'm grateful that Virginia is somewhat lenient in their homeschool requirements, but I do wish they were a tad more equitable with the standardized tests. Why homeschoolers have to do them EVERY year when public school kids don't do SOLs every year boggles my mind. But whatever. They're done. It was awful. We drink rum and move on.
  • The kids don't drink the rum. Just to be clear.
  • The abortion thing seems to keep getting more and more polarized and every time I think geesh, neither side can get worse...I am proven wrong. If I hadn't already been spending serious time praying for this country, I would be starting. I hope more people are. Because it's reaching the point of ridiculous, heartbreaking, and possibly scary.
  • I am borderline terrified about the next Presidential election cycle.
  • Which is ridiculous, because in the end, I know God's got this and He wins. But man...I don't want to live through Revelation. I just don't.
  • And no, I've never been optimistic enough to be pre-trib. I would love to be, but ...yeah no. I don't see it.
  • Semi-random (but not really) question: if you knew someone despised your spouse -- like wished they would catch fire and burn in agony for hours despised them -- would you continue to try and maintain any sort of relationship with that person, up to and including a brief smile and wave at church?
  • Yeah, me either.
  • Nothing I have tried thus far, including explaining how much it hurts me in small words of one syllable, has gotten the memo through to hubby. It's annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment