8/12/2019

24 Years

Today is our 24th anniversary.

I have to say, given the option, I'd certainly choose him all over again in a flash. Hubby's hands-down the best man I know. Plus he gets me, and the number of people for whom that is a thing is distressingly small. And it shrinks. Sometimes it feels like daily.

As anniversaries go, we didn't do anything that would qualify as hoopla, and that's just dandy as far as I'm concerned.

Sunday we hit up our favorite Mexican restaurant after church. (To be fair, we do this most Sundays, so that wasn't particularly special. But we all love it and that's more fun, in my mind, than something snooty where you feel you're supposed to love it but, in fact, are simply uncomfortable and the food is average.)

Today was a typical Monday. The kids and I did school (and oh boy, it was a doozy as far as youngest and his reading - I know the problem - or a large part of it - is his eyes as he physically has difficulty focusing. But I still feel like we need to tarry on. And today I would say that was the wrong decision. There were tears. They were not all from him.) We cleaned the house. We had piano lessons. And our church small group met for Bible study in the evening.

I did buy us a cake at Wegmans to share with everyone. I had them put a big "24" on it.

I texted hubby this morning that I loved him like Jack Bauer loved killing terrorists. I figure if you can't make 24 references on your 24th, well then, when can you?

The cake was nummy -- whipped cream icing and a cannoli filling. I will likely eat another piece tomorrow.

Here's to another 24 of remembering that the everyday is worth so much in the longer scheme of things.

1 comment:

  1. Huzzay, Huzzah!

    As for celebrations, I'm of the mindset that at this point along the line (we're at 26 years), every fifth anniversary should involve putting on some dog (we did Bermuda last year) while the ones in between should be like what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete