9/21/2019

More Jauntiness

It's something about fall, I think, that gets my itchy feet moving. They're always there, in the background, whispering sweet nothings about going somewhere and doing something (in direct opposition to the various pipes in Jeffries tubes on a Star Trek set, I guess.) But I don't usually follow through because common sense and general busyness kicks in.

Still, about a year ago, some friends took a trip on the Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad and had such a lovely time, that I've been plotting our own adventure on the same. Not the least because littlest still loves trains and a chance to ride a train is not to be missed.

Hubs and I chatted off and on about doing it, but never really got around to more than that, until it was one of the various deals in my weekly Travelzoo email. (Honestly, I ought to unsubscribe. It makes me drool. And wish. And count pennies. And lust over all the places we ought to be going. But I can't bring myself to do it.)

I made a few calls (to hubs and also to my dad who, like youngest, is a bit of a train nut) and we decided sure, why not? At nearly 50% off, there really was no reason to say no. So the purchase was made and we checked our calendars and synchronized our watches and today was the day.

We picked up dad around 9 and made our way out to Romney, WV. It's a nice enough drive -- scenic in its own right -- with a few twists and turns as you go up and down mountains once you're past Winchester.

No one got carsick, so that's a bonus.

The train itself is showing its age, but it was a lovely trip out and back through some gorgeous scenery -- mountain on one side, river and another mountain on the other. Littlest and I stood out on the gondola car (open air) on the way back through the trough. We'd seen an eagle sitting on a branch on the way up (while we were in the regular car) and we saw a bird flying crazy high in the air, that they said on the PA was an eagle, but, well, you couldn't prove it by me. On the way back (from the open air car) we were able to see one of the eagle nests they pointed out, so that was cool. But no more birds.

Lots of kayakers though.

In all, it was worth the roughly six hours round trip in the car. Will I angle to do it again? Meh. Probably not. (To be honest, if we need another train ride, the Strasbourg Railroad in PA is lovely and a big closer. Or it feels closer. Maybe because it's near Lancaster so I'm assured of yummy food if we head that way, as well?)

No comments:

Post a Comment