11/08/2019

Coat Madness

So the boys grow like weeds.

I know this is not something that comes as a surprise to anyone who has spawn. You blink and suddenly none of their clothes fit.

Being a bit of a frugal gal, I have endeavored (mostly successfully) to buy winter coats large enough for each boy that they last at least two seasons. There was one time that eldest managed to not be so rough on his that youngest could then get a third season out of it. But alas, that is not the norm.

Last year, both boys had coats that were juuuust this side of too small. Sleeves were shorter than desired. Zip ups were a tad trickier because they were snug. But by golly, I was not trying to buy a new winter coat in February! Tough it out, I said.

And they did.

Alas, eldest managed to rip a huge hole in his (pulling the pocket completely out), so both boys needed new jackets for this year.

I waited. And then I waited some more. And around the start of October I said to myself, "Self, it's time to get the boys new coats."

So I poked around and found some on the Walmart online store and purchased them and then hung them in the closet because it was still too hot to need them.

But today! Today when it was a balmy 45 when the boys wanted to go play outside, I said, "Hey, why not put on your new coats?"

And there was great rejoicing because they both love new coats.

Eldest grabbed his, zipped up, and was off like the wind.

Youngest grabbed his, zipped...tried to zip...tried again...got frustrated and yelled for help. I went over to look. I tried to zip...and the zipper pull came off in my hand.

The dang zipper lost six teeth the first time we tried to zip it up.

So, when we were out and about, I dragged the coat, both boys, my email confirmation, and a bit of a bad attitude to the returns counter at Walmart.

Plus side? They were very nice about the whole thing and took it back and gave me a refund without any hassle.

Minus side? They do not carry the same coat in the store.

After a bit of fussing and some creative and overly cheerful chivvying from me and eldest, we got the youngest to agree to a new, different, (better! So much better! I tell you it's amazing!) (ed. It's not better. In fact, it's distinctly not better. But shhhh) coat. Because it's supposed to possibly snow on Tuesday so there's really no time to be dinking around with not having a winter coat.

Maybe a bonus plus side? I did also get them winter boots whilst in the store.

So when there is absolutely no wintery weather on Tuesday, you'll know it's us to blame. We're prepared. So the weather will not come.

No comments:

Post a Comment