3/25/2020

Ennui Generated Random

So here we are. Day whatever of being stuck at home. (And yes, fine, we do go out and play in the yard. And we could go pick up food and bring it home or hike in the forest - it's just that both of those feel irresponsible. And like I'd be breaking a rule. I need better defined rules for this situation.)

Anyway, random thoughts as they occur:

  • Adding rain to this whole mess is not so amazing for the depression/ennui/childcare structure. Seriously.
  • I ordered mulch to be delivered from Lowe's. It felt like I was breaking all kinds of rules, but darn it, they're open and it's spring/mulching time. Plus it's something the kids can help with and they kind of enjoy doing. So really. 
  • I'm also repainting my powder room. If I wasn't lazy (is lazy the right word? Probably. I'm too lazy - ha - to come up with a different one), I would search through the ol blog archive to see when I painted it purple (aubergine, to be accurate.) My mom said I'd be tired of it within a year. I know I made it well past that mark (I'm fairly sure I did the painting prior to kids, so that's at least 12). But regardless, with the dark hardwood we had put in...three(?) years ago, that room is now ridiculously dark.
  • So I'm painting it teal.
  • Mom would not approve that choice, either.
  • I've never been on the line item veto train. I mean, I haven't given it tons of thought, but it was never something that I felt was necessary. I have now changed my mind completely. 
  • Either that or our "lawmakers" need to be required to have only one item in each bill. Because OH MY GAWD this "stimulus" thing is porkier than a pig farm. And other than that? Useless.
  • Anyone who votes for that abomination should be removed from office immediately. Anyone. Either party.
  • Our government has devolved into an utter farce. Last week I would have said it was close but could still be saved. Now? Abandon hope all ye who enter.
  • Good Lord I weep for my children.
  • Which is why I've ordered mulch. Maybe if I spread it thick enough, I can bury my head beneath it and pretend that things are going to be okay. Even as a fiction writer, I'm not sure I have that much ability to suspend disbelief, but I'm willing to try.
  • We're still doing school here. I probably will evaluate where we are in both boys' curriculum and just go ahead and test them here before much longer. Then the school year is "over" and we can just do work here and there to finish out books as needed. It's never really over when you homeschool.
  • Also, as their piano lessons are cancelled for the forseeable, I've taken that on. It goes well enough with oldest, but youngest...may just take a hiatus from piano for a bit. I refuse to argue with him about it, because I hold out hope that he'll enjoy playing. So I don't want it to be yet another thing he fights with mom about.

No comments:

Post a Comment