7/13/2020

Around the World in 80 Days

We finished up Around the World in 80 Days last week. It was a very fun story all the way to the end. The bets continued back and forth about whether he would a) actually make it in the allotted time and b) whether or not he was the bank theif.


So, since we finished, I thought, well, let's watch the movie.

There were options. There's a 1950s movie and a 2002(ish) one. I knew the older would be a super hard sell for my boys. (They're heathens I admit this. We tried to watch the original Tron prior to seeing TronLegacy and were told in no uncertain terms that it was "old fashioned junk." I am not optimistic about trying something black and white.)

So, 2000s version it is! 

Plus Jackie Chan is always fun.

Y'all.

THIS MOVIE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BOOK EXCEPT THE TITLE.

It was like Starship Troopers. 

Fun movie? Sure.

Anything to do with the book?

Nope. Nopeity nope nope.

Still, the boys had fun. It was their first introduction, I believe, to Jackie Chan. And we had a fun conversation at the end about the fact that the book is always better and THIS is why you always read it first.

Because dang.

1 comment:

  1. I tossed it in the queue. Because who doesn't like Jackie Chan?

    As for pinching titles and making up new stories, I happened to watch "The Sea Hawk" the other evening. It's the Errol Flynn swash-buckler about Elizabethan buccaneers fighting the Dons. Absolutely nothing to do with the Raphael Sabatini novel on which it was "based". Gotta love those movie rights!

    ReplyDelete