11/22/2020

This, That, and the Other

 A little Sunday random to clear out the brain.

  • I mentioned to a Canadian friend the other day that the fam was going to watch a movie with friends last night and got an earful about Covid. I realize it's a thing. I realize it's serious. I also realize that a) I'm pretty sure I had it in February and b) we're taking reasonable precautions such as not licking each other, breathing in each other's faces, and washing our hands. They're healthy. We're healthy. So. Anyway, I'm just so over this and ready to find the days when people could be trusted not to be complete morons (or to bear the brunt of their bad choices without griping that the government should have somehow saved them.)
  • I don't understand how anyone can not see how student loan forgiveness punishes the lower and lower-middle classes while giving more advantage to middle and upper middle folks. The people who didn't go to college because they couldn't afford it and knew saddling themselves with massive debt was a bad plan just get bent over to pay for the ones who said f-it and wrote checks with their ego their body was never going to be able to cash. It's not about fair. It's about freaking personal responsibility. (As in, you took out the loan, you're on the hook for it. What's magical about school debt? What about all the people who got bent over by balloon payments on mortgages? Where's their government bailout? It's the same general thing: they spent money they didn't have and were never going to earn on a house they couldn't afford. House payments are still qualified as "done to improve their life" just like school loans. They could have bought an affordable house or waited and saved. Just like people could have gone to an affordable college or waited and saved.) Also, where does this magical money come from? Do people understand that the government can't just print more money and not screw the whole country? (Obviously teh answer is no, but one wonders why all these people with college loans have so little actual education.)
  • We need to groom the Sleepy Pup. It's on my never ending to-do list but as it's a two person job, I have to wait for the husband to be available and, well, that's akin to waiting for Godot.
  • Every time I think of Godot I smile and remember the girl in my college (ha) oral interp class who did a scene from same and pronounced it "God-ot" the whole time. It was uncomfortably embarrassing.
  • Normally I'm a hard and fast "not until after Thanksgiving" girl when it comes to Christmas decorations. I find myself ready now though. And I've been ready for a week or so. I think it's the general feeling of "f it" that I have when it comes to just about anything anymore this year.
  • Cautiously optimistic news about the sister's cancer - but the Eeyore in me says not to get my hopes up until she's been done with chemo for 6 weeks and the numbers still look good. Because the numbers looked like they were improving last year during treatment, too, and we see what that got us. (Bupkis. It got us exactly bupkis.)
  • We have tentatively scheduled a jaunt down to Williamsburg in December so as to see the in-laws (since we're not seeing them for Thanksgiving or Christmas b/c despite item the first, we are actually being smart about people numbers and exposure etc. Add in that sister is coming for both and her compromised immune system doesn't need a hoard.) With Der Kommissar's current tightening of things, we're now trying to decide if we carry on like the wayward son of old or if we punt to some as yet undetermined time in the future. I'd like to vote for never, given they're the in-laws and seeing them always goes badly, but, well, they did make the husband, so there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment