3/01/2023

Sourdough and Other Random Thoughts

For my birthday t'other day, my cousin and sister were pretty adamant that they wanted to get me something. I couldn't come up with any ideas, so settled on some sourdough proving baskets because I've had a wild hair to give sourdough a try (because it is yummy and apparently I need something else to have to take care of.)

Well, in addition to the baskets, they also got me a starter jar and a fresh starter. Which meant, of course, that there was nothing to do but feed the starter and see where it led me.

Couple days later, here I am, giving the bread my first try.

It is...more involved than I initially imagined.

Which is dumb. I've watched videos (and honestly, watching them is what got me onto the idea in the first place). Regardless, I've now been doing little things to this bread dough off and on all day, and there's yet more to do, including proofing in the fridge overnight. So tomorrow, I guess we'll get to see how well my first attempt paid off.

While waiting for the timer to tell me it was time to stretch and fold the dough, and in between helping kiddos with school, I got an email dangling low airfare + hotel packages to Madrid and Barcelona. And boy...I'm so tempted.

I need to poke around online a bit and see what's what over there, but I might just put my foot down and say we're going. (Of course, then we'll have to do the whole passport dance as I think mine and hubs are expired, as is eldest's. And youngest has never had one. But there's time.)

Honestly, I've become so enamored by Gaudi, the idea of seeing Barcelona in person is twitterpating. And even knowing the whining the kids will do can't quite dampen my desire to drag them there anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment