3/13/2024

Spring Projects

The glorious weather this week has been stirring up my spring project brain a little. And also my "I really really want to go on a a vacation" brain. And maybe get chickens?


Mostly kidding about the chickens.

But kind of not.

Except the work involved feels overwhelming with I look at it from afar, so probably no chickens.

Instead, I'm considering plants. Which is hilarious because plants and I don't tend to do well together. I can never figure out what they want from me. Water? Too much? Too little? Sunshine? Same questions. Weeding? I mean sure, but also I really hate dirt under my fingernails and gardening gloves don't actually seem to keep that from happening with me.

So yeah. Not a gardener.

But I kind of want to be?

Youngest had such a jolly time with his tomatoes in his raised bed last year, that hubby bought two more raised beds to set up and the two of them are plotting (ha) what to plant. And when. Youngest is firm on corn. I...can we do that? Just grow a few corn stalks in a raised bed? I mean, I don't know why we couldn't, but I haven't seen it done.

Maybe there's a reason?

I feel like we ought to do lettuce of some sort. 

No one will eat the bell peppers or cukes that are so often found in gardens, so there's zero point there. (I would eat them, but not at the quantity that things seem to produce. We struggled to keep up with the tomatoes last year.)

I'm also starting to see the emergence of the hornets or yellow jackets that were a freaking plague last year. We have GOT to find their home and destroy it. Youngest took the better part of fall getting over his fear of being stung (fair enough as he got hit by 7 of the suckers at once) and I just need him to be willing to go outside. Blergh.

Finally, I chose the color I want to paint the powder room and am close on the dining room as well. I can at least do above the chair rail and maybe leave the below (as it's fine - just not amazing) if I can't figure out what I want there. I do love painting and while it's not an outdoor project, it's still relaxing and worth the efforts.

As for vacation? I went through the whole rigamarole of figuring out what would be fun and work and then there was kid drama and ultimately looked at hubby and said, "Why did I want to take this circus on the road again?"

So yeah. Maybe not.

And hey, if we're never leaving town again, maybe chickens aren't such a terrible idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment