3/05/2024

Stretch, then fold.

I'm playing with my sourdough again.


Last week, though I was pleased that Pedro lived through the "baked by a teenager" incident, the bread itself did not go well. I'm fairly sure I over-proofed it, and so in the end we were able to eat one of the loaves with copious butter, but by the time it came to cut into the second, the knife said, "Nope."

I suspect we could have saved it to throw at intruders, with deadly intent. But alas, I tossed it in the bin.

(Hubby says, "Why not feed it to the birds?" And my honest answer? I couldn't take it if they decided they didn't want it either. And that seemed like a reasonable proposition.)

So today, I've mixed it up completely with a totally new recipe and approach. So far, one stretch and fold in, the dough feeeelllls good, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

The annoying thing is that you don't actually get to know until the next day with sourdough. Le sigh.

Anyway, I'll keep plugging along with the 100% whole wheat until I either master it or run out of the 25 pounds of organic, stone-milled flour that I bought. If I can master it, fantastic, I'll probably buy the milling attachment for my KitchenAid and give that a go. If not? I'll probably just go back to King Arthur.


No comments:

Post a Comment