7/25/2026

The Call of the Wild

This year for schooling of youngest, we've decided to give Classical Conversations a try (have I mentioned this? I can't recall and I'm too lazy to look.) I have numerous reservations about this, but he's a little extrovert in a family of introverts so I really just want him to have more peers in his life (which is not to say he doesn't already - because he does - but more is always better, according to him.)


We recently received the book list for what he'll need to read for English, along with indications as to whether or not it's an essay book or just discussion, with the encouragement to read the discussion books during the summer so as to get ahead because the reading pace is fast. (This is a massive understatement. And it's definitely one of my reservations. Youngest is not the world's best or fastest reader by any stretch. He's improving every day, but he hates it and I still think there are ocular issues be it with focus or motor skills or both, but nothing we do seems to help so yeah. Good times.) (Point being, it's a concern.)

The first two books are The Sign of the Beaver - an essay book, so he's reading that a chapter a day, because the essay is part of week one?! And then week two is a discussion of The Call of the Wild. So I got the audiobook for that from the library and we're listening to it together.

I have never read TCOTW. I have never, to my knowledge, read anything by Jack London. And I wish, most heartily, that this state was not changing. Because OH. MY. FREAKING. WORD. 

This book is horrible.

Not the writing. That's fine. But the story. Whyyyyy do people insist on making children read books wherein dogs are mistreated and killed? What is the possible redeeming value of this???

I am STILL traumatized by Where the Red Fern Grows and that was read to me in elementary school which was eleventy billion years ago. When I started homeschooling, I very vocally asserted that I would NOT make my kids read that book, or any that has passed on lingering trauma to me even to this day.

And yet here we are, reading about a whole team of sled dogs (who are not actually sled dogs - just dogs that were bought or stolen and conscripted) being beaten with straps and clubs, starved, overworked, encouraged to fight one another, abandoned on the frozen track, and then forced to cross thin ice wherein they fall into said frozen water when the ice breaks underneath them.

What, I ask you, is my tenderhearted boy supposed to learn from this? What am I supposed to learn from this? And how am I supposed to respond when he looks at me with tears streaming down his cheeks and begs me not to make him read the rest of it.

Because I'm with him one hundred percent. I don't want to listen to any more either. I just don't. It's horrifying. And there is no possible ending that's going to make the journey okay. There just isn't. (I guess maybe if Buck breaks free of his harness and goes on a brutal mauling spree, leaving every human who he encounters bleeding out slowly and painfully on the frozen tundra it might--might--be acceptable. But even then I don't think I'd be satisfied.

We're up to chapter 7 of the 9 (66%) per my Libby app and I'm not sure we're going to make it through those last three chapters. (I mean, we will, because we have to. But OMG. It's horrifying.) All I am learning, honestly, is that I'm grateful London died at 40 before he could inflict more of this hideousness on the unsuspecting youth of our world and that maybe miserable alcoholics shouldn't be allowed to get published.

No comments:

Post a Comment