2/10/2006

Dancing with the Stars Discussion

Let me start off by saying that having been very annoyed last week that I gave up my weekly dose of Grissom to watch the group salsa, I went ahead and let my CSI timer take over this week, so I didn't get to see Stacy dance. I'm sure she did fine but can someone tell me what she danced and what they thought? Cinthia?

This week, while watching Drew (who I totally think deserved the 30/30 he got this go round) I think it finally hit why I (and apparently the judges) think he's doing such a good job. Last week there was a little discussion on the fact that in ballroom, the man is there primarily to showcase the woman and I think this is where Drew is succeeding and George and Jerry are failing. (I can excuse the lapse a little with George and Jerry because, after all, they are the Stars part of Dancing with the Stars...) I think G & J are focusing on getting the attention on them - on being the "stars of the dance" - but failing miserably because they're just not good enough dancers to warrant having that amount of attention on them. Thus their professional partners are trying to overcompensate and draw the attention off G's & J's awful dancing by being over the top. I think this latter bit was shown in harsh reality last night when you contrast how they danced with the professional male dancer at the beginning of the show to how they dance with their "star" partner. Such a big difference. With the professional couples all you see, all you really focus on, is the couple dancing - the interaction between man and woman and who they are isn't a big issue. With George and Jerry, you're continuously jerked back to the reality that "This is George Hamilton dancing!" or "This is Jerry Rice dancing!" and you lose any ability to see the dance itself because the dancers are so obvious.

Contrast that with Drew. Drew actually manages to showcase his partner. And I think in doing so actually shows that his dancing abilities because once more you're brought back to the beauty of the dance itself and the interactions of the two dancers moving together. I also will say that I never particularly noticed his shoulders in previous weeks, but I did see the difference whatever he did to "fix" the problem this week in his dancing, so hey - maybe the judges actually said something helpful.

Anyway, the bottom two this week really NEED to be George and Jerry. I'd like to see George go because Jerry is at least trying to up his game. George is still relying on a sexy partner and props to get by. Well, that and the fact that the judges think he's entertaining. This isn't, however, "Get Entertained by the Stars", it's "Dancing with the Stars" - so George either needs to get with the program and just dance (which I doubt he's capable of) or go. Then next week, unless something amazing happens with one of the other three, Jerry needs to be out. Cause Drew, Stacy and Lisa are all really good and any one of them could win and I would be ok with that - if either George or Jerry makes it to the finals, then we know that it's not about the dancing, it's just about popularity.

Final thought - the chick judge seemed to be a little better this week, though I think she swung too far into the "nice" category based on her George and Jerry scores. But it's better than her trashing really good performances. The only really decent judge of the 3 though is the middle guy.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't actually get to see last week's show either. I have dance classes on Thursdays and last Friday I had to go to a meeting so I couldn't see the results show. My boyfriend is taping those on his DVR, but he's been out of the country for a couple of weeks and won't be back until Tuesday. I'll let you know about it after I see it!

    I was happy to see George finally go this week. I hope that next week, Jerry will get the boot though I'm worried that Lisa's fan base just isn't strong enough to warrant her to stay on longer. I have to say I'm getting a little bored with Stacy and Drew at this point. They've consistently delivered well since the start and are both talented. With a bit of unfair advantage over the rest of the competitors, it's no surprise they're doing so well. The win will surely be between the two of them. On the other hand, Lisa has really impressed me the most. She's not all that talented, but she's worked so damn hard. She's so dedicated to improving you can see she's giving it her 110%. It's fantastic that she's come such a long way. I wish voters would understand that and keep her on for one more week.

    I agree with you that George and Jerry's respective partners have done a lot of overcompensating for them. I'm sure Anna is somewhat relieved she doesn't have to go through that again. It's got to be a bit embarrasing as a top ballroom dancer to keep coming back week after week on national television in front of your professional peers and students not because your partner is doing well or even just improving, but because he's just popular with the crowd. Next to George, poor Anna looked like she was thrashing away like a possessed mad woman. And it's not like she hasn't been trying to make him better! He's just a lost cause...

    ReplyDelete