2/09/2006

Some days I love my job

I know I whine and moan a lot about my job - and honestly the stuff I whine and moan about is all true (and truly an annoyance) - but there are days here and there when I remember why I went into software engineering in the first place. Today has been such a day.

I've been working with Pokey to try and solve a problem that he just couldn't get over. We'd been looking in the wrong place and finally had a little bit of a breakthrough. So he coded that up and passed it over to me (becuase he got a bug report on some of his other code that needed to take his priority and I was at a good stopping point with my other project, so no biggie.) I did some tweaking and got the thing totally working except that the popup window it created wouldn't close at the end of the operation.

None of the usual (and easy) suspects would do it. It was getting very frustrating and the API documentation...well, if you've used APIs before you're already laughing because you and I both know that APIs tend to not have documentation, or if they do, you're usually better off if you try to work without it lest you confuse yourself.

Well, this morning, in a burst of inspiration, I came up with a creative and truly "out of the box" solution that seems to have fixed the issue. And for now, at least, I remember why I liked software engineering in the first place because you can't beat that sense of accomplishment. You just can't.

So, since I'm clearly able to take over the world today, I will get back to work and see what other fascinating delights await me.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:32 AM

    Woo hoo! That must be a great feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete