1/13/2006

Not as bad as I remembered

So, I'd had the stupid gum surgery on my lower right side previously. And memory (fogged though it was) of that is what prompted my post yesterday. However, either my memory is flawed (entirely possible) or the upper gums just go easier, because I feel great. Now, I'm not going to go out and run a marathon (wouldn't on the best of days anyway, but you get the idea), but I'm not dying. No percoset consumed at all, which is actually nice as I really do prefer not to take stuff like that. I've been able to get by with one ultraset (which is still pretty strong, but not percoset level) and then 2 extra strength tylenol about 7 hours after that. All in all, not too shabby. I spent most of the day snoozing on the couch with ice on for ten, off for ten. And Tim, being the greatest hubby in the entire universe, taking extraordinarily good care of me.

Funny story. (Well, funny now. Not so funny this morning.) I had a little pile of meds that I had to take an hour before the surgery - a sedative, 2 celebrex (anti inflammatory and analgesic), and 2 anti-biotics. Well, last time instead of the celebrex, they used ultraset. So at 6:30 I took my meds and we hopped in the car and Tim took me up to the dr. office. Normally with the distance we had to travel, we'd only need about 30 minutes to get there, even with DC traffic. Traffic was hideous this morning. So as we inch our way along and get about 1/2 way there, I look at Tim and say, "Hm. I think I should've eaten more with the medication." Tim has no more time than to reach over and pat my arm before I am rolling down the window and unbuckling the seatbelt so I can lean out as far as I can to throw up. I mostly made it. But Tim's car needs a wash. We get there and I let the nurse know that I probably threw up all of the meds and she just laughs. I'm like, "What's funny?" She says, "We had so many people getting sick from Ultraset that we switched to the celebrex. You're one of the first people to have surgery since we switched."

It's funny now. I wasn't amused then. Anyway, with a good night sleep behind me and hopefully just bolstered by more tylenol, I will hopefully be raring to go at my pottery class tomorrow. I'm so psyched!

2 comments: