6/20/2006

Calendar Blues

I have vacation envy.

My friend Michelle is going to Ireland this summer. She (the big ol meany) says I won't fit in her suitcase so I can't go with her. It's very sad cause I need a vacation. Badly.

I actually was doing ok on the "no vacation in the forseeable future" until the houseguests arrived. Now I have nowhere to go that I can relax. Their computer is down with ours in the office (which makes sense, they need an Internet connection so they need to be in a wired room), they watch the TV, they spread out in the kitchen, dining room and living room (all of which is imminently reasonable), and in my bedroom is a cowering, terrified puppy who just looks at you with her big brown eyes and telepaths, "Why? Why are there these strange, terrifying people in my house? Why do you do this to me? You know I don't like strangers, so why? Why? Why!?" So I'm trying to give her lots of cuddles but also lots of space cause I don't want her to go off the deep end. I'm thinking the deep end may be where I can finally be alone.

And, well, work...work is just not a relaxing place to be right now since there was another little bout of "Out with the old, in with the new" for no discernable reason other than the capricious desires of the new CEO. So those of us left are just wondering for how much longer we're going to be employed or if we're slated to be replaced with friends of the new management as well sometime soon.

So I spent some time last night looking at my calendar trying to figure out if there was any time in there when both Tim and I would be out of school and able to go somewhere on vacation. There's nothing.

(Ok, that's not 100% true, there's some time in August, when Tim has a major work deadline and will be traveling for customer acceptance testing. But neither of us will be in school at that moment. I just don't think it's really vacationable.)

And that leaves us with looking at possibilities for long weekends away. All in all, this is not a bad solution, but I don't know where I'd want to go. Plus, driving anywhere on a weekend in this area...well you really might as well just camp in your car because everyone and their cousin is driving up and down I-95 and really messing up local abilities to get the heck out of town. (Reference our last weekend away trip wherein we wanted to go to Lancaster, PA - normally about a 2 hour drive - and it took us 8 hours to get there. That's right. 8. Hours.)

So...if you have suggestions of interesting places to go that are within a 4 hour drive of the DC area that would make a fun weekend getaway, I'd be interested!

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:35 AM

    Wow, a 2 hour drive took 8? OMG! Are there any bed and breakfast places close to you?

    Has the company started looking for their own home yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roanoke looks fun. And its not on 95.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn - The company is slowly looking - they're out again today so I'm hopeful. :) There are some if you venture out a bit, that's a good idea though...hmmm...possibilities.

    Lynellen - Not on 95 is a definite bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel ya on the vacation envy thing. We won't be going anywhere anytime soon either and I know that I'm in need of some time off and a getaway. *sigh*

    Our pastor and his wife run a B&B out of their home. And it is a lovely, historic home. Let me know if you're interested in their info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:27 PM

    Sorry you can't fit in my suitcase!
    Thanks for all the travel tips. :)

    As for getaways, there's a nice B&B in the Shenandoah Valley called Killahevlin's. Chuck and I stayed there on our honeymoon. It's really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen - I may do that. :) Gotta see what Tim has in mind, he mentioned Shenandoah and camping and I actually could totally be up for that, too.

    Michelle - I would even be self-carrying luggage, but oh well ;) Hope they help a little! Thanks for the idea - that would combine Shenandoah and not-camping, something else I could totally get behind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a big suitcase, I could squeeze you in mine when I come back to NZ...of course you'd have to find a stranger to let you ride in theirs back haha!

    Here's hoping today is the day that they find a new place...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rach - is there room for Tim too? :) We both really want to get to NZ! (I'd say we didnt' care bout coming back, but we'd miss the puppies too much!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could always buy another suitcase - Do you think the puppies could fit into hand luggage? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm...they're probably a little big for hand luggage, but it's a thought! :)

    ReplyDelete