6/26/2006

Riverdance and other weekend ramblings

Riverdance was fantastic. I'm very glad I went - though I would say it's not for everyone. It's particularly not for small children who will, if the small children behind us were any indication, whine and moan the entire time that it's boring and can they leave yet and why do I have to sit still, the person in front of me didn't say anything when I kicked him. And so on. Seriously - Wolftrap -- or any theater or any kind -- is not the place for your kids unless it's a kids event or you have previously taught them how to behave when out in society so as not to have other patrons wondering if strangling other people's kids was included in their $60 ticket. (Though I will say, if you have kids and want to take them to performing arts, Wolftrap could be a good thing -just buy lawn tickets, that way they can wiggle all they want without disturbing people.)

As far as the actual performance goes, I enjoyed all of the Irish dancing and wish there had been more of it. They could totally have put in at least 2 more bouts of Irish dancing by getting rid of the pathetic "Flamenco" dancer. I'm not sure what purpose she served, other than to provide a break from entertainment in case you were enjoying yourself too much and needed a little bout of boredom and eye rolling. Isn't there supposed to be a man in Flamenco? Cause this was just one lady and seriously all she did was swish her skirt around and make bizarre arm movements.

The singers were incredible.

The tap dancers were great and the "tap off" was probably my favorite (Irish guys vs. jazzy tap guys), though other than Flamenco chick I enjoyed all of it. I'd go again in a heartbeat, but it would have to be in a real theater, not an open air one, as I think you could probably hear the stomping a bit better in an enclosed area.

I give it 4.5 clogs out of 5.

Afterward we had supper with my folks and my sister (late Fathers-day and mom and dad's 42nd anniversary). That was nice as well.

The rest of the weekend was split between homework, church, thunderstorms and feeling icky. I still feel icky and would dearly have loved to stay home but I don't think it would've been at all restful.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:12 AM

    We had a fantastic time when we watched Riverdance. No kids around (thank goodness!--I personally believe that no child should be taken to an event like that unless it's a KID EVENT, like you). I loved the Irish dancing. The Russian dancing was pretty cool, too. Flamenco? Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it. Too bad about the ill-behaved children. I've got a picture in my head now of Elaine from Seinfeld, doing the Flamenco dance. Sorry you had to see that. ;-)

    Get better soon! It was probably the radioactive goo that did it. Sorry. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle - the Russian dancing was nice, and some of the leaping was just neat. I asked Tim if he could do that and he just laughed at me. :)

    Gwynne - I liked the goo! I think I'm just over-tired. Elaine doing the Flamenco sounds about right.

    ReplyDelete