6/12/2006

Yeah, well, it's a slow news day

So, Jennifer made up her own meme the other day, and Gwynne and Jim have done it, so I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon as well. (I'd rather jump on the Wells Fargo Wagon, honestly, but the bandwagon will have to do.) So, without further ado, useless information about me!

1. When you meet someone new do you trust them or do they have to earn your trust?
I always want to trust them, but mostly they have to earn it. Not to an extreme, mind you, but I probably err on the side of caution.

2. What do you pay attention to when you meet someone or visit with someone you know?
Always I try first to pay attention to what's actually being said. I've always considered myself a pretty good listener, and I think it's because I make a point to do that. But when I meet someone new I also tend to focus on body language so I can get a feel for how to listen to them.

3. When you were in high school or college what did you want to be when you grew up?
A high school or college teacher. But not just any teacher - I wanted to be *that* teacher, you know, the one you remember who changes your perspectives and helps you be more than you would've been if you'd never studied under that person.

4. If you could have any career now what would it be?
So many things...a writer (who actually gets paid for things), a mother, an entrepeneur...

5. Name a life changing moment that made your life better.
My wedding day.

6. Name a life changing moment that changed your life for the worse.
Probably when my "best friend" told me that I wasn't popular enough and therefore she wasn't going to talk to me anymore. That kinda fed the answer to #1, cause she did this to me multiple times.

7. Are you a homebody or a gypsy? Homebody.

8. What do you collect? Books, mostly.

9. Do you have a recurring dream or nightmare?
Yes.

Oh, did you want to know what it is? It's slightly varied, but it always involves being lost in a school-like building and realizing that I can't speak, I don't know sign language, it's the end of the term, and I haven't attended class - ever and I'm supposed to take the exam.

10. Why did your parents give you the name they did?
Combination of its meaning and family names.

11. What motivates you?
I'm fairly intrinsically motivated. Extrinsic motivation is very short lived and ineffectual for me. If I can't motivate myself, more than likely, I'm not going to be motivated.

12. What scares you?
Other than s-n-a-k-e-s? The thought that I'll live to the end of my days and not have done something worthwhile.

13. What three things do you need most day to day?
Prayer. Prayer and Prayer.

14. What do you think God is like?

Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
In light inaccessible hid from our eyes,
Most blessèd, most glorious, the Ancient of Days,
Almighty, victorious, Thy great Name we praise.

Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light,
Nor wanting, nor wasting, Thou rulest in might;
Thy justice, like mountains, high soaring above
Thy clouds, which are fountains of goodness and love.

To all, life Thou givest, to both great and small;
In all life Thou livest, the true life of all;
We blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree,
And wither and perish but naught changeth Thee.

Great Father of glory, pure Father of light,
Thine angels adore Thee, all veiling their sight;
But of all Thy rich graces this grace, Lord, impart
Take the veil from our faces, the vile from our heart.

All laud we would render; O help us to see
’Tis only the splendor of light hideth Thee,
And so let Thy glory, Almighty, impart,
Through Christ in His story, Thy Christ to the heart.
--W. Chalmers Smith

15. What do you read?
Fiction - almost every genre (though I don't do horror/suspense).

16. Name at least one book you’ve read that’s influenced your philosophy.
A Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster

17. What thrills you?
The beauty that's all around if you just look.

18. What do you struggle with repeatedly?
Accepting the sovereignty of God.

19. What makes you laugh?
Dry, cynical or sarcastic humor and corny jokes.

20. What makes you cry?
All I can come up with is a flippant answer: onions.

21. What do you want your life to look like in 5 years?
Honestly, I'd be pretty happy if it was exactly the same as today. Though there are many things I desire, I am, for the most part, content, and if I continue to grow closer to God and to Tim, that contentness will remain.

22. What is one thing you'd like to achieve before you die?
I'd like to have something published. It doesn't have to go on to become a NYT best seller or anything, but it'd be nice to see it in the bookstore.

23. What talents do you have?
Hmm. Various musical, creative, and technical ones.

24. Which one is your favorite and why?
Ugh. This is like asking which is your favorite child...I like them all for different reasons and in different circumstances some are more useful than others.

25. What's one thing you don't think other people know about you that you'd like them to know?
That I despise this question. Despise. It.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this - I better get on to it myself soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Immortal, Invisible... excellent choice! That reminds me of the time the Girl Scouts led worship in our church and one of them read the scriptures. The passage included the phrase "sexual immorality" and she read it as "sexual immortality." Yeah, baby!

    And Celebration of Discipline, wow, you are just hittin' on all cylinders. I'd love to hear you say more about that book's impact on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your answers.

    #6 is so sad...why are teenagers so vile?

    # 9 sounds vaguely familiar, like that's happened to me in real life. I know I've shown up for tests before, completely unprepared (because I hadn't been to class lately).

    #14 is just beautiful!!

    #25 are you sure you wanted us to know that about you? ;-)

    And I too would like to hear more about how Celebration affected your philosophy...post request, please. :-)

    Okay, and now, where is your flip-flop photo? Hmm? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim - Hee. I imagine that poor Girl Scout was teased mercilessly for some time to come. :)

    Immortal, Invisible is one of my favorite hymns, and what I point to when people who are "all praise choruses, all the time" say there's no value in hymns for today's audiences. I like a good praise chorus, but at the end of the day, I love a good hymn. I've seen a few groups who are taking hymns and putting them to more "praise chorus" type music and finding that people respond and love them -- so I wonder if that just doesn't need to be done more often so we at least don't lose the beauty because we write them off as boring dirges and never sing them except as a sop to the "old people". Hm. That probably should be its own post at some point. :)

    Celebration of Discipline. I'll have to collect my thoughts to get a comprehensive post together about how it affected me. May take a little while as I think it deserves more than an "off the cuff" response.

    Gwynne, for #25, I'm positive. I also despise "If you won the lottery..." type questions. Bleh. If you're not interested enough to come up with a real question about me, let's just not get to know each other, ok? :) But I'm obnoxious that way. ;)

    Um...flip flop photo...can I go get a pedicure first? Cause seriously, it's been too long for me to just show my feet to the world up close and personal without some pretty paint on my toeses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, what you don't know about a person (esp family :-) Good responses. I'll attempt some of these but soooo comprehensive! I may just tackle 5 a week. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lyn, yeah my intention was to do it in bursts as well, but well, yesterday was a slow work day :) Be fun to see your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric - we'll see about getting dolled up...I think you want my feet dolled up if I'm posting a picture. I love the tune myself (on Immortal, Invisible) - but I'm a hymn person.

    ReplyDelete