7/29/2006

And now for something completely different:

A Sleepy-Time Review: Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest

Last night we (Tim, R, Sis and Brother-in-Law) went to see POTC:DMC. I know we're a little late to the party, but such is life when things get busy. I did feel slightly superior going in as I did with advance knowledge that I must stay through the credits to see the special scene. I warned the party and it was agreed that we would stay.

A few "waiting for the movie to start" thoughts: Did I really just pay $9 to watch commercials when I fast foward through them at home? Seriously? Although, that being said, there appear to be some TV shows coming on in the fall that I may want to give a looksee, so I guess not all commercials are bad. Just most of them.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. I didn't see anything particularly more dark or weird or whatever about Captain Jack - but I have only seen the original once, so that may have something to do with it. That said, I still enjoy Johnny Depp and find him a very good and convincing actor. He really does seem to become the parts he takes on, as opposed to oh, say, Jack Nicholson who is always himself. Cause you can't handle him trying to act.

I'm not sure what else to say, I could wax on about the plot but, well, this is the middle of a trillogy and it had the plot of a middle of a trillogy movie. I did think it was amusing that the East India Trading Company guy was the same actor who was Mr. Collins in the Keira Knightly Pride & Prejudice version. He apparently has a pretty good acting range as well since he went from pathetic fool to rather convincing evil person.

I guess I do have a question - did anyone actually not pick up on who it was who broke Davy Jones' heart? Cause I thought it was kinda obvious given the lockets being the same and such.
Beyond that, well, it was fun but I thought there were parts that could've been tightened up so it might not have been quite so long. So long, in fact, that both R and my sis were about to cry from needing to visit the potty while I forced them to stay for the final scene. Which then ended with them nearly killing me and saying, "You made me wait for that???"

Yeah, that last scene? You don't really need to stay for it.

All in all, I'd give POTC:DMC a solid 3.5 Cannon Balls out of 5. (Not sorry I saw it, not rushing out to see it again.)

3 comments:

  1. You know, wondering...but not enough to sit there through more credits than I think I've ever seen in a movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree there were more credits than movie, practically! They were blurry on our local theatre's screen so it was even difficult to read them, but I'm glad I stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ours werent' blurry, but seriously, I didn't find particularly amazing edification in seeing the HUGE number of costumers or tattoo designers or tattoo painters etc.

    ReplyDelete