6/09/2007

Recipe: Pork with Camembert

By popular demand (ok, two of you asked. And really, it's beyond tasty, so worth sharing) - I'm not sure where Tim's aunt got the recipe, but I got it from her. Did I mention it's delicious?

Ingredients:
3/4 - 1 lb pork tenderloin
1 T butter
3 T sparkling dry cider or dry white wine
1/2 - 3/4 C creme fraiche or heavy cream
1 T chopped fresh mixed herbs, such as marjoram, thyme, and sage
1/2 Camembert cheese (4 oz), rind removed -- 2.5 oz without rind, sliced
1.5 tsp dijon mustard
freshly ground pepper
fresh parsley for garnish

Instructions:
1. Slice pork tenderloin crosswise into small steaks about 3/4 inch thick. Place between 2 pieces wax paper and pound with flat side of a meat mallet or rolling pin to flatten to 1/2 inch thickness. Sprinkle with pepper.

2. Melt butter in heavy fry pan over medium high heat until it browns, then add meat. Cook for 5 minutes, turning once, or until cooked through and the meat is springy when pressed. Transfer to warm dish and cover to keep warm.

3. Add cider or wine to pan and bring to boil, scraping the base of the pan. Stir in cream and herbs and bring back to a boil.

4. Add the cheese, mustard, and any accumulated juices from the meat. Add a little more cream if needed and adjust seasoning.

5. Serve pork with sauce and garnish with parsley.

We had this with risotto and roasted asparagus with lemon butter. I think spinach would also go wonderfully. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm, sounds good! And with risotto and roasted asparagus, even better!! Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...like...will y'all come down here and make that for us?

    Just teasing...though it sounds absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janie might be teasing, but I'm not.

    I've printed this recipe and I'll give it to MLB (it included nothing about making dry white toast, which is all I'm checked out on in the kitchen) but convincing her to make it is a whole other challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to come down and make it...I have vacation again sometime in 2010. :) (Though honestly, I have family in Austin that I need to get down to visit sometime and I toy with the idea of harassing Texas bloggers while I'm there. But then, that's an as-yet-unplanned trip. So don't hold your breath.) (Well, you can hold your breath if you want, but it probably won't help.)

    Eric, tell YLB that it's actually a pretty easy recipe and goes fairly smoothly. Getting the rind off the cheese is the hardest step and the trick I was given was to freeze the cheese for 3 minutes to get it firm and use a veggie peeler. Worked pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:35 PM

    Oh my gosh that sounds sooo good. I'm going to have to try that one weekend when I actually have the time to cook :) YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete