7/31/2007

It's Clear They Have So Much In Common

I went to Amazon today to buy my sister something for her birthday. (Every year I call her and ask what she wants. Every year she says, "Something off my Amazon wishlist." One day I will just remember that she has a very up-to-date wishlist and just go there first. Until then, I suspect I will continue the phone calls. I will say that it was nice to see some fun things on the wishlist this year - so often there are books on there that are work or school related and, while I can appreciate not wanting to purchase them yourself...I just don't see really being tickled about an Operating Systems textbook for your birthday. Maybe that's me.)

Anyway, since I was there and everything, I thought I'd look at a book or two for myself - it's more economical, you know, to share the free shipping. Right? I've been meaning to read about Computer Science Reconsidered: The Invocation Model of Process Expression. It's a newish book that takes a hard look at the necessity of math for computer science education. From most of the reviews I've seen, the premise is that math is not as necessary as traditionally thought. Generally speaking, I agree 100% with that premise (in fact, my dissertation topic is in many ways related to this) so the book holds interest. After a little thought, I put it in my cart and saved it for later, opting to just get on with the birthday purchases and indulge my own whim for books at a later date. (I do love the Save for Later function though!)

However, before I added the above to my cart, I scrolled down a little to look at all the other fascinating tidbits Amazon offers when you're considering a particular tome - saw the below and laughed aloud:


Hmmm...I think those 11% are on to something!

No comments:

Post a Comment