2/14/2008

And They Just Keep Getting Better

I recently read my friend Michelle's third book, Her Warrior King (Harlequin Historical Series). And I just have to say, it rocked.

I really enjoyed the first in the series (Her Irish Warrior (Harlequin Historical Series)) and I enjoyed the second one even more (The Warrior's Touch (Harlequin Historical Series)), and so while I knew I would really enjoy the third one, I had no idea that it could be even better.

This book tells the story of Patrick MacEagan, the oldest of the brothers who we met previously in the first two books. We knew from the previous books, as well, that he and Isabel had a good marriage full of love, but we didn't know the history of how they got there. (And honestly, since it's a historical romance, we knew they'd end up together before we started the book, so it's not as if having met the two of them previously spoiled anything.) As it turns out, Patrick's marriage to Isabel was a strategic move to attempt to keep the Normans from destroying the MacEgan clan. Neither he nor Isabel were immediately amenable to the situation, though Isabel was stubborn enough to want to try to help forge peace between the clan and her people.

There are lots of twists and turns, complete with some scheming to overthrow Patrick, Isabel refusing to be tucked away in a corner as "protection", and the gradual realization that the two of them were stronger together than apart. It's a very satisfying read. If you enjoy romance novels at all, you should give these three a read. You won't regret it.

1 comment: