2/26/2008

Birthday Quiche

Last night, since neither Tim or I were in the mood for takeout or frozen pizza (the only things Tim can really cook), nor did I have anything thawed that he could grill, I did some very rare experimenting (usually I just follow recipes) and came up with the following:

Beth's Birthday Quiche

6 eggs
1 1/2 C low fat milk
1 can spinach (thoroughly drained)
6 strips bacon
2 C baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 C black olives, chopped roughly
Pie crust (I happened to have a frozen one lying around, but you could certainly make your own if you felt like it.)

Preheat oven to 375.
Cut bacon into 1" chunks and fry, draining fat frequently, until crisp. Add sliced mushrooms to pan and cook (make sure the pan is hot enough and there's a little fat so the mushrooms get slightly crispy, not wilted.)

While the bacon cooks, beat eggs and milk together, season with salt and pepper (about 1tsp salt and maybe 1T pepper is what I used, but it's really about how you like your eggs.) Roll out pie crust and place into greased quiche dish (a pie dish will work, but you might need to make two or reduce the quantities somewhat.) Spread spinach across bottom of pie crust evenly, follow with bacon and mushroom mixture. Pour egg mixture over both then sprinkle olives across the top. (They'll sink, but be close to the top.)

Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the egg is completely set up.

I was pleased - it's not earth shattering, for sure, (in fact, you can probably find any number of recipes out there that are nearly identical, but hey, I did this from scratch) but it was still quite tasty. The only thing I wish we'd had around was the Dubliner White Cheddar - a cup or cup and a half of that, shredded, would have added a delicious, sharp tang.

9 comments:

  1. Too bad you had to cook your own dinner on your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:04 PM

    Sounds yummy! So Happy Birthday, Beth!


    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:36 PM

    Argh. Sorry I missed your birthday. Hope it was good... it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! And even though he keeps you up, I'll bet this year's present was the best ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynellen, yeah - but we went out Sunday, so I knew I'd have to cook. :)

    Gwen, thanks!

    Jim - no worries, I didn't really advertise the whole birthday thing. It was good - both parts.

    Michelle - no contest. :) I got gummy smiles yesterday, what more could you ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your birthday was yesterday?! Happy belated!! And the recipe sounds delicious. My only problem with quiche is that I could eat the whole "pie" in one sitting. One slice is never enough. And it's lunch time now, and there's no quiche around. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Again!!!
    Guess who is back.....and from work even!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew I shouldn't ignore google calendar for a reason! Happy birthday! Sorry it's so belated! The Quiche sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday!

    I need to figure out how to make quiche using rice milk instead of cow's milk. Sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete