7/21/2008

Gifts

Have you ever met someone who makes you feel incredibly blessed that you got to know them? The mother of my best friend growing up is one of these people. She's such an amazingly talented woman, but that's not even why you feel lucky to know her. She is one of those people who never fails to make it abundantly clear that you are loved and special and cherished - by her, certainly - but even more so by God. And she does it all in such a way that you never know it's happened, and I suspect it seems effortless because she doesn't try to do it. It's simply who she is.

When Tim and I married, she sent us a calligraphy wall hanging that is cherished and special. I talked about it, briefly, here.

Today the mailman rang the bell and left a package on the stoop. I knew the instant I saw the handwriting on the wrapping who sent it. Opening it, I found a note filled with such warmth and blessing that it alone would have been a gift to cherish. Instead, the note sat on top of a gift for Joshua that I hope he will grow to cherish as much as I already do.

If you can't read it, it's from Ephesians 6:

Find your strength in the Lord, in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God. Take the sword which the Spirit gives you, the Word of God. Accept salvation as your helmet. For a breastplate put on integrity. Fasten on the belt of truth. Take up the great shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the burning arrows of the evil one. Let the shoes on your feet be the gospel of peace to give you firm footing. Pray always in the power of the Spirit.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Beth! That's so beautiful. I am sure Joshua will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not ashamed to say I sat and cried for a few minutes after opening it. I hope that Joshua gets a chance to meet her some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww..isn't it great knowing people like her? It reminds us that we should all try to do nice things for other people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! It is a great reminder to us all, but especially fitting for your baby boy. What a special woman.

    ReplyDelete