11/26/2020

Happy Thanksgiving

 Dad and sister came over to join us for Thanksgiving today. So a slightly smaller than usual gathering as the in-laws didn't come. I don't know that anyone was super upset by that (other than maybe my sister-in-law who complains about mother-in-law's cooking.)

We had porchetta, because none of us like turkey and I've been in the mood to cook something a little more fun. Everyone except eldest liked it (he's picky. In his own words he doesn't like "fancy meat") Insert a few eyerolls here. But whatever.

Dad and Sis were here by 9:30 so we started the day with waffles and vanilla sauce, a family favorite.

Late lunch was the pork with mashed potatoes and the brussels and other veg that were cooked under the pork while it roasted. Simple-ish. But so yummy.

We started the first season of The Mandalorian over so sister could see it. She enjoyed it well enough but isn't dying to have Disney+ to be able to finish it. Which is fine.

I took a picture of me and sister and Dad and tried not to remark to myself too many times that this could well be the last Thanksgiving with either of them. Dad's doing well enough, but he's not young. Sister could make it to this time next year, but it seems unlikely and, if she does, she likely won't be up for hanging out at a meal.

Miracles happen and so forth, so there's no given, but it did cast a pall.

I'm now almost to the point that I think I can squeeze down a piece of pie as my supper and call it a day.

1 comment: