2/27/2021

Lawn Thoughts

It's warm(ish) and rainy today -- pretty typical for the starting of spring around these parts. And as such, a homeowner's thoughts turn to lawn care.

For the last several years, we've been hiring a local landscaping company to do our lawn mowing and other such tasks. Hubby is allergic and resents the time it took out of his weekends and I was on board with hiring it out, because I'm all for not forcing people to do things that make them uber grumpy. Especially if I'm the one who has to deal with said uber grumpiness.

This year, as we're the proud owner of a newly minted teenager who now appreciates having dollars to his name, we've been kicking around getting a new mower and letting him have at it. 

(Secretly, I will probably also do some as I have always enjoyed mowing the lawn. It's the best thinking time activity that exists, IMO.)

Anyway, one of the things that pushed us into hiring out the mowing to begin with, is the absolute hatred hubby has for small engine maintenance. So this go-round, he's looking at electric mowers. (I realize these also have small engines, but the oil and gas and blah blah is not an issue.)

He keeps talking about how much cheaper the corded mowers are and...I grew up with a corded mower. I have not-fun memories of whipping that super long, bright orange cord around, trying to avoid mowing over it, again, and incurring the wrath of my father. Again. (Because apparently it's a pain to fix and/or replace those super long exterior extension cords. Who knew?)

I remember the great joy when we upgraded to a gas mower. Free, at last, from the bright orange cord! 

So I'm pushing for battery powered/rechargeable if we go the electric route.

But I'm also snickering that everything goes round and round again.

2 comments:

  1. I agree about mowing time being the best thinking time, which is largely why I never encouraged anyone else to take over the job from me. (That, and only I know where all the roots and other dangers to the blade are around the yard.)

    We had an electric-cord mower for our first house. (I think I left it there when we moved.) You had to navigate juuuust the right course in order to hit all the corners as well as avoid getting hung up around trees and bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Yes. Bushes and trees definitely up the difficulty level.

    ReplyDelete