3/09/2021

Back in the Pew (but not with Pepe)

This past Sunday, now that our church has some version of Sunday school for both kiddos running on Sunday morning, we decided it was long past time and went back to in-person service.

It was glorious.

I didn't really realize how much I missed it (because I honestly do love hanging out on the couch with the fam, drinking coffee, and watching church on the TV. But it's not the same. It will never be the same. It is a make-do, stop-gap and everyone knows it.)

They've had in person services for a while -- honestly since probably last April? Or May? They didn't stay online only for long. They started outside. Then they moved inside.

But it was all in family groups and there were not Sunday school classes for the kids, and y'all. My youngest is an amazing kid, but trying to get him to not be disruptive is a full time job in something like Sunday morning church.

The people around us would have been miserable. We would have been miserable. He would've been miserable. 

It just wasn't worth it.

He did AMAZING in his Sunday school class though (because it's much smaller now -- and it helps that he had a teacher who has ADHD boys of her own, so she understands him instead of just seeing him as a pain in the rear.)

Anyway, we're looking forward to being back to "normal" there from this point on.

Of course, normal is a relative term, because apparently we live in a world where cancelling cartoon characters is a thing? Like, did anyone think Pepe LePew was someone to emulate? For real? I always rolled my eyes at his sketchy idiocy. And he usually got several good wallops to the head. I just...didn't formulate my standards of behavior and morals from a TV show? I had parents.

And maybe that's the problem -- so many kids today don't have parents who are doing that work.

Still, if we're cancelling cartoons let's go ahead an throw Family Guy on the pile, shall we? Like every single character in that show is disgusting. Probably need to add teh Simpsons, although I find them amusing, but let's be real, Homer's a misogynistic jerk and Apu is a racist caricature. Animanaics? Hellllo Nurse! Got to go. 

I do wonder if we're reaching a tipping point where we need to just not speak to people lest we give or receive offense. And I don't think Puck's suggestion of it all being a dream is going to fly with the culture at large.

My eyes hurt from rolling them so hard.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't watched the Simpsons in a while, but from what I've read I believe they've already kyboshed Apu on these grounds. Just wait'll they realize that ALL the Simpsons characters are caricatures of one kind or another.

    "So many kids today don't have parents who are doing that work." Eldest has not been a teaching assistant long but that is already her favorite dinnertime rant.

    Yay, in-person worship! The on-line stuff has been hard enough for us who sincerely strive, but I worry more about what C.S. Lewis called the "Christianity-and-water" types. Watch "Church" on the innertoobs? Naw, why bother. **Click**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. I wonder how I missed Apu getting the ax. Ah well, unsurprising.

    But yeah, parenting appears to be at an all-time low these days. Sigh.

    As for the Christianity and water types, this has definitely weeded them out. We see the effects in our youth activities if nothing else right now.

    ReplyDelete