10/11/2021

Pumpkin Time

We spent our Columbus/Indigenous People's Day (neither of which are part of our homeschool calendar, but whatever) making a trek down to gather pumpkins from the farm with friends from church. They have four kids in four different schools (2 different public middles, one at a private Christian, and one homeschooled. It is, to me, the perfect example of finding what works for your kid and doing that.) but all were off today.

We looked into the pumpkin patch that we usually attend, but boy howdy, I know times are harder this year, but between the $25/person entrance fee regardless of age and then having to pay for any of the activities (like the slides?!) it was not economically reasonable or feasible to do so. So we went down the road a bit to a smaller, more family-like farm that wanted only $9/person with no additional charges beyond the pumpkins or food you wanted.

Since they opened at 9, we made a concerted effort to be there at opening. It was fantastic. We were all able to get a good bit of fun in before the throngs descended. And by noon, we were on our way to Sonic for lunch.

We got two normal sized pumpkins and one rather large one that I fear is going to be left to me to carve. I enjoy the pumpkin carving process, but I inevitably regret when we go "the great pumpkin" route. Ah well. I'm sure they'll all be too cool for pumpkins before too long (I'm honestly a tad surprised that eldest still wanted his own pumpkin this year because he is very much too cool for seemingly everything else.)

I find myself exhausted at the end of the day and it seems ridiculous, but I'm also seeing that, despite the completely overcast day, I got a bit of sun, so perhaps that's the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment