10/08/2021

Phoning it in

My cellphone is dying. Has been for going on probably six months now. It'll hold a charge for upward of four hours if I don't use it for anything.

There are parts of this that I don't mind. Like not being able to use it for anything most of the time. But there are other times when it's actually a useful little piece of technology to have and it's irritating to have it need to charge. Again.

I'm well past my "new every two" timeline. But Google started teasing the Pixel 6 just about the time I started getting serious about figuring out what I wanted to do next. I have a Pixel 3 currently and since all of the devices are reporting us in all ways to our betters, aligning my phone with Big Brother, Google edition seems just as reasonable as putting Samsung or Apple in the middle. I like the Pixel. I'm used to it. So...might as well wait for the 6, right?

Except, of course, Google's being cagey about the actual release date and the battery life of my current phone is shortening rapidly and...at some point I don't want to wait forever.

Now they're saying the 19th for the "official unveiling" - but is that the date that they're available? Most tech sites are saying no, that'll be the 29th. And like gah. Then you have to wait another week or two for people to test the thing and see if it's actually worth having and...the Samsung has been out long enough that everyone can tell you the pros and cons and more and more I'm thinking I'll just go with that. Because at least then I'd have a phone that didn't randomly die when I was trying to use it.

I'm half tempted, despite hating all things Apple, to suck it up and join the world of the iPhone since they're actually seeming to try to care about user privacy these days. And how pathetic is it that "seeming to try to care" is a HUGE step up from everyone else?

Bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment