11/21/2022

Same As It Ever Was (Thanksgiving Dinner Edition)

As seems to ever be the case, I started out this lovely Thanksgiving week with no food in the house to speak of. I certainly was not in possession of all the things I will need on Thursday when everyone descends upon the house for the nosh.

So, I thought myself quite ahead of the game when I rounded up the kids, loaded in the van, and carried us forth to Costco, thinking I could surely kill all the birds with one stone at said location and get eldest some long sleeved shirts to boot. (Because he's been wandering around in short sleeves and finally, upon cornering him and asking about it, it turns out he's outgrown all his warm shirts. Sheesh.)

I was thrilled to land a decent spot out in front of Costco. Little did I know this would be the best part of the trip.

They had no turkeys. 

I honestly believe they just never were selling them start with this year? I don't know. I'm used to seeing one freezer case full of Butterballs when I'm there around this time of year and I was a little stymied by the fact that, having chosen this year to be a turkey year, I was now going to have to go elsewhere to get one.

Also they had no green beans.

Or whipped cream.

Or sparkling apple cider.

It was like the Costco twilight zone.

They did, at least, have long sleeved shirts and various other sundries we needed (dishwasher pods, but alas, no dishwasher rinse aid!)

After checking out, to a tune more expensive than what I intended because, haha, my membership had expired so I had to renew as well, I eyed the contents of the cart and decided it was going to necessitate a trip to Wegmans. Since we were just down the road from same now (vs going home and taking another 30 minute trip at some other point sometime between now and Thursday) I deemed it cold enough to risk just getting it over with.

Wegmans, thankfully, was chock full of turkeys. The only small problem came when trying to find something in the ten pound range instead of the 30 pound area. Because we most definitely do not need a bird that big.

We found nearly everything that we needed this time. (Except the dishwasher rinse aid. But that was more a trying to rush through the store and just get done and so I forgot thing than them not having it. Probably. We didn't actually go down that aisle.)

I'm sure I forgot something.

But it may end up that this year that becomes something we do without. Because the grocery store at Thanksgiving is not my favorite. Nor will it ever be.

Some day I will plan ahead enough that I don't end up there during this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment