12/12/2023

Some days I dream of public school

I know better. I really do.


But man. I love the fantasy that pretends that I could shoo younger off to "the professionals" and they would love and nurture his love of education in ways that I can not. And he would not have meltdowns that last for hours because he doesn't want to do all the hard things.

Reality though, when I step back, is that he would be lost in a sea of 30+ other kids. Labeled disruptive. I'd be on the principal's speed dial. The teachers would hate me because I have "that kid."

Or he'd get stuck in the special ed room. And I don't really think that would be much better, because his needs aren't severe enough to warrant attention in a sea of needier kids.

I am the best teacher for him.

I know this.

Most days I love it and don't mind swimming upstream with him.

But this week? Man, it's been rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment