6/19/2024

Toothsome

I mentioned, I believe, that I had to have two gum grafts in the past nine or so months. I'd had some (I think in different places? But I really don't remember.) back in 2005. Even if it was a re-do, I'm okay with having to do it every twenty years give or take. (I mean, in an ideal world, I wouldn't have to. But looking at my dad's gums, I'm not feeling like I have the odds in my favor.)

Anyway. The second of the two was in March. It healed well enough, but I noticed I had a lot (more?) pain in the tooth/gum when I was finally cleared to chew on that side. And it was even more cold sensitive than it had been.

So, after putting it off for close to a month, I finally went back to the periodontist to see if I'd broken the graft or if they'd inadvertently done something. Perio said no, the graft looked great. Referred me to an endodontist. 

They took a look then froze the end of something with liquid nitrogen and started touching teeth. All was well til they got to the one in question when I about jumped off the chair in pain and it was a solid five minutes before the pain abated. That plus the x-ray meant root canal. I'd expected to schedule same, but he was like, "If you have time, I do."

And well, I was there. 

All things considered, it wasn't awful. Again, not signing up to have them for fun and profit, but still. 

Amusingly, I am realizing just how much compensating I must have been doing for that tooth, because I am still surprised when I take a drink of something cold and accidentally let it go in my whole mouth and it doesn't hurt. Woot. 

In other tooth news, youngest came to me with a molar yesterday. I really thought the Tooth Fairy was retired, but I guess we have a couple more yet to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment