7/15/2024

And he's back

Eldest is back from his wanderings in Mexico. When he was exhausted from a day of travel and I picked him up at the airport, he had lots to say on the way home. I really enjoyed hearing about his trip without having to pry every answer out of him as if it were an interrogation. 

Sadly, he has reverted back to his normal reticent self now that he's been home a few days and while I had hoped to continue the conversation and, dare I hope more, turn over a new leaf in our ability to have what I would see as a more normal relationship it was, alas, not to be.

Ah well.

The meme that says: Texting (or talking) with a teenager is like texting someone who's just not into you.

Yeah, I feel that.

Maybe it's as it should be. Cut the apron strings and so forth. But I feel like they're so cut, I spend many days questioning if they ever existed. At this point, I just pray that later in life he doesn't forget we exist and will toss a scrap of attention in our direction now and again. I say that, and then I realize hubby only reaches out to his family when I force it, so yeah. The prospect isn't bright. Yay?

Still, I'm grateful he had a good trip. He learned a lot. And for a time was willing to share it with me. If they go again next year, he's already said he wants to return. And that's something, too.

Perhaps I can convince him to give learning a little Spanish a try in the intervening time.

No comments:

Post a Comment