A list of random inevitably feels like a cop out. Which is ridiculous as I do realize that 1) I don't owe anyone anything here and 2) there are like four of you who actually come read here. And 3) See 1.
And so, despite the fact that I feel like I ought to do better, we're going with general randomness in paragraph, not bullet list, form.
Eldest seems to be continuing to do well at college. I say "seems to be" because in true boy-child form, he is...less than communicative. He texts occasionally when he needs me to send him something via Amazon. Or money. Generically speaking, I'm embracing this as him doing exactly as he should be doing and learning to thrive. Are my feelings somewhat hurt that he can't be arsed to send me the photo of his dorm room I asked for or a picture of him and his friends on their weekend jaunt to freaking Ohio (because what could be more college than randomly road tripping to Ohio for the weekend?) But whatever. I want him to fly and he seems to be doing so. I just hadn't expected that he'd forget we existed quite so quickly.
Youngest is, slowly, adjusting to his brother being gone. There are still moments when he breaks down saying he misses his brother. I occasionally consider asking if he'd like me to be mean to him so he remembers what it's like when his brother is around. So far, I've managed to not do that - I realize it's not the correct response - but it's a strong temptation. There is considerably more peace in the house with the eldest gone and on one hand, the peace is nice, and on the other, I am frustrated and sad that my kids are not friends. I pray that eventually they at least move closer to appreciative enjoyment of one another when in the same orbit.
It is what it is.
The new school choice for youngest is going...well-ish. It's a lot more work than we had been doing - ever. So I'm gradually figuring out where to scale things and where to push. (Would I love him to annotate and summarize the US Constitution in writing? Absolutely. Am I content that we have a conversation about the major points and that he pipes up with comments that are relevant when he overhears a snippet of the Law & Order re-runs that have become part of my evening Netflix viewing? Yes. I am.)
We're meant to be learning Latin as part of it. So far, that has been the final subject of every school day and, as such, as been getting skipped because we're both just over it all. Will we get to it? Eh. I'm unsure. It's another of those "I'd love for him to learn it, but I'm not going to stress out about it either." In the overall scheme of things, I don't think he's college bound and I'm not sure how important it is for a mechanic or builder (his two current aspirations) to know Latin. (Of course if he suddenly decides he really wants to do it, we absolutely will. I always chase the subjects that intrigue him.)
Dad's house has yet to sell. The market is stupid and there's so much new construction that many would rather pay the same amount for a smaller house on a smaller lot that's brand new. Which I kind of get - we bought new when we first moved to the area (granted, that was in 2000 so it's been a minute) and there is something lovely about having new construction. On the other hand, our current home is not new and there's something lovely about having a house where a lot of the new construction kinks are already worked out. (Did I know about new construction kinks when we bought new? No. No I did not. I think that's probably the case for many new construction buyers. Ah well. Live and learn.) There is maybe an offer right now (it's a bizarre circumstance - they made a ridiculous lowball that our relator was actually embarrassed to tell us about - he prefaced it saying that he'd already replied with comps etc to let them know they were dreaming. Dad countered with his two price points that he'll accept (one with standard conditions is higher, one a bit lower that's as is. Neither anywhere near what was offered.) But then our relator came back asking for any receipts we had for the roof, A/C etc (to show when they were new) so we think maybe they're considering the "as is" price. None of us would be sad to just have the thing sold. (That said, none of us are willing to take a ridiculous offer just to be done. We've been kicking around the idea of making it a rental if it doesn't sell before much longer, but we also don't really want to be landlords, even with a management company doing the heavy lifting.)
And that's life in a nutshell. And it likely explains the large gap between posts. Because it's not scintillating. It's just...life.
No comments:
Post a Comment