10/06/2026

Octo-brrr

Most of the time here around the DeeCee area, September and October come around with no respite from the summer temperatures and humidity. (Sometimes there'll be a week here or there where things get lovely and fall-ish, but then you're right back into the heat, albeit with slightly less humidity.)

This year?

The solstice came and suddenly we're having an autumn like they do in New England. Crisp, cool days and cooler (I can't quite call it cold) nights.

Which follows, in my mind, because here at the Sleepy home, we live in Murphy-land.

Why do I say this?

Oh, because our pool is finally finished.

Right when it's legitimately too cool to want to swim. (Arguably, there may yet be time to swim. One, they haven't hooked up the heat pump yet - so when we can artificially heat the water, we can probably make it work. And two, I'm not ruling out whatever we're supposed to call indian summer these days. (Because I'm sure there's a more politically correct term than that. I just don't know what it is.))

So yeah.

Instead of glorious days of swimming and avoiding the heat, I am instead spending my life skimming the metric-ton of leaves that are falling into the pool that is absolutely a white elephant if one goes by the original definition thereof.

I know summer will come around again. And the pool cover is meant to get installed this week as well, which will help with the incessant need to skim. But right now, it's just a lot of grr.

No comments:

Post a Comment