5/31/2024

Miscellany

This afternoon, roughly 50 people will be descending to our place for a "Kick off Summer" type party. This is all the machinations of elder boy, who wanted to have his friends from church, along with their entire families, come and hang out.

Hubby insists he is stunned that I agreed.

And, I get it. I'm an introvert. Ish. Although, really, I like parties. I like throwing and hosting them, I guess I should say. They're exhausting - and this one in particular has caused a tad bit of anxiety because I just don't know all the parents - but I still like them.

And I think that, really, is the heart of it. I joked to someone (my mom? My sister? Can't remember.) that it's not so much that I'm an introvert as it is that I've been traumatized by so many people for so many years that I just kind of figure it's going to end badly.

I want friends. I just suck at it.

Anyway, eldest (you know, the one the shrink says has social anxiety and needs more opportunities to interact with his peers) is gung ho, so I wasn't going to say no. Plus it got him to clean the house, so that's a big win.

In other news, daddy and I have been talking about heading to Texas to inter my sister's ashes. I think he wants to go in September, and he wants to drive, not fly. The boys (none of the three) really care about going (which is fine), so I think it's just going to be dad and me. He's game for seeing things along the way, so I may take the opportunity to see Graceland, Hot Springs, Arkansas, and Waco on the way out. Then maybe, on the way home, I'll see if we can swing by and visit my friend whose family is PCSing to Abilene this summer. Then Dad said, "Why not go home a different way and swing through Los Alamos and visit <his friends who moved to Colorado>?" 

And you know what? Why not indeed.

I'm looking to see if there's anything worth seeing on the drive home. But I'm excited about the road trip. Although, I've had two nightmares now wherein I wake up and knock on Dad's hotel room door only to find he's died. 

That's not traumatizing at all. But it's easy enough to track down, as this trip feels, in many ways, like a goodbye tour for him. But I don't want to think about that.

So I'm not going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment